Is your day job getting you down? Are you feeling too tired to function? Is your side hustle feeling a little flat?
It probably happens all too regularly for your liking as well? If only we had a pound for every time we felt exhausted, uninspired and unmotivated, in need of stopping and just zoning out. And when you know you should be doing something, you just cannot get yourself going. It is like the well has run dry. We get lazy!
In my latest bout of being extremely unmotivated and lazy, I’ve been thinking about some of the things one could do to maybe reset the engines. Below you will find listed some of the options I came up with:
5 Things to do When You Are Unmotivated
- Reading articles: – seeing as you are most likely going to be sat scrolling through your phone anyway, why not read around your field. Check for any new articles or developments. A low energy task that may provide you with new insight and a new approach.
- Social media stalking: – again, as you’re going to be on your phone, how about checking out the social media pages of those who are successfully doing what you want to do. You can see how they’re doing things, and it may give you a few tips and pointers for when you are ready to get back to it.
- Tech break: – contradicting the first two points a little, but why not take a break from your devices instead? Seeing too many of your peers succeeding in their areas, especially when you’re feeling a bit stuck in yours is in absolutely no way good for you. Go do something else!
- Learn a new hobby: – maybe that something else could be taking on a new skill. Get the neurons firing in a different way and turn your hand to baking, knitting, skateboarding, rock climbing… you may even get fresh insight and gain some transferable knowledge.5
- Give yourself a time frame: – sometimes, you do just need a proper break from it all so you do not face severe exhaustion and burnout. Give yourself a few days, a few weeks if necessary, to take a step back and rest. Tell yourself you’ll get back to it on a certain day, write it on the calendar, set a reminder on your phone, because when that day comes, you need to get back on it. Get some distance, and then come back stronger.
Remember, we all get a little demotivated and fatigued sometimes, and it is up to you to take a step back, and do what you need to do in order to get your mojo back. These are just a few ideas that have worked for me so far – there is probably loads more things you can try, maybe you have your own ideas already – make sure you tell me about them if you have!
Don’t lose heart, take things one step at a time, and take care of you!
© The Motivation Project 2019